The Institute of Ideas invites applications from students and others to work as interns in our London office. The nature of the work depends on the individual, but the general approach is outlined below.
The IoI internship programme is designed to give interns a grasp of the work of the IoI and its unique approach to public debate. Interns work in an intellectually stimulating environment, and gain insights into the workings of the various institutions we work with.
Interns may also take on a project of their own, investigating a field of particular interest and writing about it. Interns have the opportunity to gain greater knowledge of the world of ideas, and to improve their research and writing skills. Through working at the Institute of Ideas, interns gain valuable experience to add to their CVs and many past interns have gone on to successful careers in the media, the arts, academia, politics and science.
- Event organising:
- liaising with speakers and venues, promoting events to specialist and general audiences, including media.
- identifying key thinkers and investigating important controversies in particular areas. Summarising the results of research.
- interns are encouraged to write for the IoI's reviews website, Culture Wars, reviewing books, films and plays as well as public lectures and debates.
- Media relations:
- writing press releases and liaising with media.
- publicising IoI events throughout the public domain.
- General office work:
- database maintenance, photocopying, mailing etc.
Prospective interns should send their CV along with a covering letter detailing their own intellectual interests and any other relevant information (including details of when they will be available) by email to email@example.com or by post to:
Academy of Ideas Ltd
49-51 Farringdon Road
London EC1M 3JP